A new automated system for testing the quality and maturity of kiwifruit will tell growers the best time to harvest. If fruit is harvested at the right moment, it gets to market looking and tasting great. Zespri chief digital officer Dave Scullin says the fact that Kiwifruit matures at different rates, depending on the soil it is grown in and wind and frost exposure. Zespris current process assesses fruit readiness but is outdated. With the new system Growers send samples to a lab where they are tested for sweetness, density, size and weight with the data shared with Zespri and the final decision back to the grower. Developed by a company called Qrious it will mean Zespri growers can consistently harvest at exactly the right time….another win for the New Zealand kiwifruit industry.
- Energy Costs Forcing Some Indoor Vegetable Growers To Shut Their Doors, Or Change What They Grow
- Bad News Last Week With European Free Trade Agreement But The Good News, NZ’s Red Meat Hit $1.1 billion In Export Sales During May
- Rabbits Beware The Otago Regional Council Is Out To Get You
- NZ’s Best Honey Producers Named At Apiculture New Zealand National Honey Competition
- More And More Sheep And Beef Farms Being Sold To Overseas Interests And Will Be Converted To Forestry