State Highway 1 south of Taupō will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday this week while a truck wreck is emptied of its cargo by hand. The truck crashed six days ago leaving it in a perilous position above the lake at notorious trouble spot Te Pōporo – Bulli Pt. A Waka Kotaho says the tractor cab of the truck was removed on the day of the accident but the trailer couldn’t be safely retrieved without the risk of its 27-tonne load of frozen goods ending up in the lake. So on Tuesday and Wednesday there will be a full closure of SH1 between Taupō and Turangi to offload the cargo by hand. Motorists need to use SH32 – around the western side of the lake, which extends the usual distance from Taupō to Tūrangi, from 50km to 103km.
- Scott St John Will Step Down From The Fonterra Board, Effective From March Next Year
- A Big Celebration For The Dairy Women’s Network In Waikato Today As The Organisation Turns 25
- Snack-Sized Apple Business Rockit Global Is Expanding Into The South Island To Build Its Growing Base
- Newly Minted Agriculture And Trade Minister Todd McClay Plans To Visit India In The Next Fortnight
- A $600 Million Solar Farm Planned For The Mackenzie Basin Will Power Up To 100,000 Homes